PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOP: Future proofing your health workforce to provide better patient centred care and improve the patient experience
Monday 24 June 2019 | 9am – 5pm
Lunch and refreshments provided
The health sector is at a pivotal juncture of rapid transformation. For an industry heavily reliant on its workforce to drive patient care, the next 5-10 years are challenging and calling for immediate attention. While standing out as an employer of choice is key, it is critical to look at it from the lens of robust succession planning and develop a strategic workforce framework on leadership, capability development and culture change to improve patient outcomes.
Focused learning outcomes:
- Empowering leaders to enable culture change, foster capability improvement, and deliver on ROI
- Analysing supply and demand to better align health workforce to patient needs
- Making informed choices through the power of data
- Understanding the unique requirements of healthcare workforces
- Developing workforce strategies to retain skilled labour and health specialists
- Implementing strategies for cross-cultural management
- Developing initiatives in line with the needs and culture of your organisation to recruit, attract, retain, redeploy and train the right candidates with the right skills
- Creating meaningful employee experiences within healthcare – what does good look like
- Tools and techniques to develop an effective employee engagement strategy
This workshop addresses workforce planning from the perspective of improving patient experience and patient centred care decision making through leadership and capability development within healthcare.
Healthcare workforce planning is the cornerstone for developing organisational capability, to be able to meet the ever-growing patient needs and the resilience to capably respond to the unknown. A lack of clarity regarding capability requirements or erratic workforce planning initiatives as a quick fix solution only intensifies the capability gaps. There is an urgent need to rethink the framework we practice in our organisations and initiate a shift away from reactive management to becoming future focused. This demands undertaking a comprehensive understanding of the unique environment and knowing the pulse of the healthcare staff, and how this links to better patient experience and drives good patent centred decision making.
Benefits of attending this workshop
- Learn how to develop a robust methodology to link staff capabilities to organisational culture and patient experience
- Improve patient experience inside out
- Develop patient-centred framework for staff
About your workshop Facilitator
Michael Kalimnios, Principal Consultant, MCK Consulting
Previously Chief Operating Officer, Top End Health Service, NT Department of Health
Michael has over 30 years’ experience and expertise in general and executive management in health services across Australia. He has worked in a wide variety of roles in both the private and public sectors and he is currently running his own consulting business within the healthcare sector. He has most recently been in the role of Chief Operating Officer for Top End Health Service (TEHS) in the Northern Territory, and has previously been the Deputy Director General Corporate Services for Queensland Health. Michael is a Fellow of the Australian College of Health Service Managers and currently sits on their National Board. He is also a Fellow of Chartered Accountant Australia & New Zealand and a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Michael believes strongly in developing staff and ensuring a patient centred culture will lead to sustainable ongoing embedded service and quality improvement. In the role of Chief Operating Officer Top End Health Service, he led the implementation of an extensive workforce development and organisational cultural change program, involving detailed engagement with staff, including developing a specific strategy regarding recruitment and retention.